There is a stage every Westerly winter when you can’t uncover the source of the draft in your home. It could possibly be coming from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and cold, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your monthly energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help cut back and decrease drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s critical to be able to distinguish where these window drafts might be originating from and why. Here are some beneficial tips to identify your Westerly home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Look for gaps and breaks in uncommon points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the typical windows with functional capabilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Check to guarantee that windows and doors are sealed and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket around the functional portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Test the installation by determining if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only operate as well as it is installed.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Westerly to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Westerly a call at 401-315-7032 with any additional questions or possible replacement needs.